CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A week in the life of me...

There are so many things to do and so little time with which to do them!

I just sent in a paper that I’ve been working on, little by little for weeks. I wrote it for my Reformation and Modern Theology class. For those of you who don’t know, historical theology is my favorite intellectual hobby. I am by no means an expert, but I am learning. And I thoroughly enjoyed researching this paper about the French mathematician/physicist/apologist, Blaise Pascal and his masterpiece, the Pensées. Here’s an excerpt…

The most famous section of the Pensées is known as The Wager,[1] which argues that, “if there is a God, he is infinitely beyond our comprehension.” We cannot understand him by dividing him into systems and parts as in science. And there is no vantage point from which we can see all of God all at once. He is infinitely greater than anything we can grasp. “We are therefore incapable of knowing either what he is or whether he is,” because we could never give adequate rational grounds to prove a being infinitely beyond our rational capacities. Does God exist? “Reason cannot decide this question.” We must toss a coin. Heads, God exists. Tails, he does not. Everyone must make a choice. If you call heads and it turns out God exists, “you win everything, if you lose you lose nothing.” When the odds are even and the prize is infinite, it is a reasonable bet to make.

My preoccupation with this paper has left little time to do much else. I missed my step-father-in-law’s family reunion on Saturday to work on it. But I took a break Saturday night to map out The Journey’s summer schedule so we could discuss it at our leaders meeting on Sunday afternoon. We ended up deciding on some great ways we can be the difference this summer. Stay tuned for that. We also have an amazing Summer Sports Series IV in store in July.

Sunday, I got up to lead worship with Jess in the morning at the 10:35 service. It was Sidewalk Sunday, so we were passing out newsletters. We had our Journey leaders lunch meeting. I played bass for Remix then went home and passed out on the couch. When I came to, Cristina and I got some dinner, went grocery shopping, paid bills and called it a night.

On Monday, after sleeping in, I again got to work on my paper, cleaned up around the house, had the young men’s group at our house, helped Cristina with the laundry, and started back on my paper for way too long before getting to bed.

Tuesday, I again worked on that paper. In the evening we went to my parents’ house for dinner, after which I was working on my paper. While taking a break and playing with my pet rabbit, Buffalo (now 5 years old), I noticed a lump sort of hanging from his belly as he walked around. It didn’t seem to hurt him, but I am concerned. Cristina and I prayed for him and we have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I was finished with my paper around midnight that night, but it was 3,000 words. My professor specifically said it should be “strictly 2,000-2,500 words.” So I went through it about 3-4 more times removing any unnecessary information. I was done by 3am.

Wednesday, I get up in time to meet a friend for lunch, and then head over to Centerpoint for an enlightening staff meeting. The rest of the afternoon I spend updating the website for the month and planning for this Friday’s Fuel. Unfortunately, due to this paper, I have not yet had time to upload most of last April’s messages for the Fuelcast. I expect to be back on top of things next week. I would have liked to update our contact list with all the new green sheets so that I can send out a newsletter, but that will have to wait until next week as well. About 5:15, I rush out to get a bite to eat and come back to rehearse two songs for Mega Wednesday. Afterwards, Cristina and I go to Target for some essentials (and dinner, after all). She give my paper one last proof read and gets ready for bed while I send it to my professor via cyberspace. I then check my grades to see my status. And it turns out that if I get an A on my paper and my final I will be okay. (Please be praying for that!) And now I am here immortalizing the writing of my paper for you.

Thursday will be devoted to even more homework, and hopefully good news at the vet, then off to La Mirada for an evening class. Then, from 9:30pm until 7pm on Friday my mind will be focused almost exclusively on Fuel and making it happen.

On Friday, Fuel will happen. We will worship together. I will preach. And I will likely have the pleasure of hanging out with you all until late.

Saturday, Marla graduates, Chris BBQ’s and Evan turns 30-something.

Sunday will be our last 10:35 service (so come say farewell). I’d like to go to the Greek festival at the Orthodox Church for lunch and maybe a church tour (we’ll see). Then it’s back to Centerpoint for another amazing time of worship!

And that is a week in the life of me. I just wrote over 1,000 words in a relatively short period of time. I don’t know why 3,000 were so difficult for me this time around, but it was. There was a lot of background to learn and a lot of information to synthesize. In the end, I’m a little smarter for having done it. I am blessed to be getting a degree for studying what I love to learn and would read about anyway. I am humbled to be able to serve God alongside such amazing young adults. And I am in wonder at the support of a wife who loves me through it all. God is good! I am tired. Goodnight.


[1] Pascal, Pensees, 121-125.

1 comments:

Marla said...

Wow! Crazy busy week. Sounds like my week has been! I hope Buffalo is doing ok. I will be praying for him. He's such an adorable bunny! I want him to be healthy and happy, and know that he is loved by many!